Friday, September 05, 2008

Hearing and reading impaired

The sound went out on my tv a couple days ago (a flat screen I bought around christmas, now I'm pissed, but that's another post). To just get by, seeing as all my technical knowledge has been exhausted, I've just been watching the closed captioning. This would be just fine except I've decided that whoever is typing these things needs to work on some things. The easy one would be spelling.  I've spent the majority of the time trying to figure out what the hell they're trying to say. It's bad enough trying to read the text and follow the images at the same time. Add on to that the next complaint. Sometimes they don't even attempt to get the word right. This morning, I was watching the news and they were talking about the McCain speech. The line "letowpa hee nom" came up and the captioning just froze. Makes me think that the typist started sneezing and just didn't get around to finishing the captioning. That was the worst offense but there are constantly random words just thrown into the text 
Now maybe this isn't that bad. Maybe I just don't know enough about the closed captioning system. But damn. If I were someone who had to rely on these things for information, I would be filing some complaints.

Letowpa hee nom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAhahahaha!


Great post!
Sis

sue said...

It is just wrong, I tell ya... just wrong.

T.J. said...

I'm pretty sure my DVD player/home theater just gave up the ghost. I'm relegated to *barf* network T.V until I can find money for a replacement.

I've watched the closed captioning stuff....mostly what they call quick cap (which comes on when you mute the tv like i do whenever they go to commercial) and one day was shocked. All the commercials in the break had captioning.

Except for the one that was actually for hearing impaired people.

WTF, I mean, really.

Letowpa hee nom,

T.

Rio Vista Boy said...

as a rule society likes making the big gesture when it comes to recognizing the needs and wants of elderly and handycapped but for the most part, once the initial convenience is actuated, the majority fall back to their 'normal' lives and don't give another thought to their good deed, like "does it really work?"