Sunday, September 03, 2006

Drinking coffee with my psyche

A few years ago, I briefly dated a guy that was very like-minded and we could talk and debate over pretty much anything. I say briefly because we were so like-minded that we were equally stubborn and refused to bend on any point of disagreement. It just didn't last. While I haven't seen the guy in person for a couple years, he regularly visits me...in my dreams. Now before you scoot closer to your monitor in anticipation of a juicy story, they aren't that kind of dreams. Everytime he appears, he and I are merely talking. We're sometimes at a coffee shop, sometimes walking around a park, sometimes sitting on a bench but always talking. In the morning I remember the conversations. They're like those you would have with any other friend. Catching up, talking over current situations, and getting advice. I've come to the conclusion that this old boyfriend happens to be the face my brain puts on my inner monologue in my dreams. When I need to talk something out with myself, here he is with his lovely face to give me the good or the bad news in his typically logical and sometimes irritating style. Its sometimes very frustrating to talk to him because in the waking world, I hated being wrong when talking to him but in dreamland, the bastard is always right. At any rate, he and I get together to chat every few weeks or so. He's kept updated on each and every aspect of my life (the good, bad, and ugly) because for some reason, he just knows.

A recent dream meeting with my friend over dinner has left me a little perplexed. We talked over many of the things going on in my life, per the usual, and then he told me he had some news. This is not usual. He told me that he was getting married and he wasn't sure how much we would be able to talk anymore. He did want me to meet his fiancee though. She materialized at the table, another person from my past. In the real world, we were all in the same social group although she and he were hardly the types to be seen together, but I digress. Back at dinner, she was very friendly and apologized that she might be monopolizing him in the future. And then she just faded out and I was left looking at my ex in complete confusion. He told me he still enjoyed talking to me and would try to make it in the future but I just needed to be lenient.

Now...I'm just not sure what to expect. Did my brain seriously decide that it needed to bow out gracefully from our little talks? Am I getting another person to talk to (I really hope its not the fiancee, I wasn't that fond of her in real life)? Why, in the midst of my SearchingForFriendsLoneliness has my brain decided I need to stop meeting with even a figment of a friend? This can't be normal. I wonder if my insurance covers cat scans...

2 comments:

Rio Vista Boy said...

Sounds like your Psyche dream friend self is making way for new friends and experiences... Perhaps motivation, or possibly premonition.

sue said...

Hmmm...very curious...