Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Just when I thought I'd met all the scum of the earth

Since Sunday night, I've been in a foul mood. That night, I received an email from a friend's wife. She very politely told me that he had been lying...alot. Lying to her, lying to my other friends and I. But let me give you the backstory...

This semester, my friend Slippers and I have been in the same classes. We're typically surrounded by kinda ditzy girly girls, which neither of us are. This semester, we lucked out and one of our studios had some fun people, including the aforementioned guy: Scum. He seemed like a safe friend...in our age range, kinda twisted sense of humor, and he was happily and openly married. While we never got to meet her, he always mentioned her in class or when a group of us would hang out. As is common in most friendships, we all would email or talk about whatever. Sometimes he would make little cracks that I thought his wife might not let him get away with but in the back of my mind I just figured it was his sense of humor.

I figured wrong. His wife had looked through his emails and felt uncomfortable. Mainly because she had never heard of any of us. Secondly, because he had been lying to us. Lying about all sorts of things, from little snippets about his past to movies he claimed to have seen. Lying about how his wife was going to come to lunch with us but couldn't make it because of work.

The whole thing makes me sick. Why did he lie to us? Why did he hide friends from his wife? After a couple emails from her, my impression is that his wife is a completely normal person. She apologized for everything and even made a point to say that she isn't angry with us at all. She's confused and upset and with good reason. I guess I hardly knew the guy and I'm pissed off. I can't imagine finding that out about the person you trust more than anyone.

Slippers is baffled. She keeps wondering what his intentions were. We have two more years of classes with this guy, did he think he wouldn't get caught? I start summer classes next week and he's in one of them. His wife asked that I stay civil but I think I'll only be able to manage an icy version of it.

4 comments:

sue said...

That just sucks. Big-time.

Rio Vista Boy said...

There certainly isn't enough there for a full blown psychological profile and I don't presume to fill in the empty spaces, but that is definitely a bell ringer in the alarm department. We all lie to some degree every day of our lives, whether it is to ourselves or to those around us, but that is waaaay out there. Preditor or perversion? Self manipulating or self deluded? Something is not adding up in that individuals checks and balance column. I recommend you steer clear of that guy as much as social civility allows. But then, I don't tend to walk on the wild side any more. I'm not even peeking over the fence.

Sizzle said...

Why would he lie? Gah, that sucks! Especially for his wife.

Unknown said...

That is bizarre and I have to admit that if I were the wife, I would be really concerned about why he would be trying to hide her -- almost as if he were trying to have a different life outside the house.