Saturday, May 03, 2008

Saturday morning cartoons

Pops made a comment the other day that I haven't been writing so he has no idea how I'm doing (Ironic because I was sitting right behind him...they have this new-fangled technology called 'talking'). So here's the bits and scraps to appease the tiny masses.

Today is my brother's birthday. He's old. He's younger than I am but he's still an old married guy. He happens to be one of my favorite people for innumerable reasons. I'm more than a little bummed I might miss his birthday celebration but the only way I can go is if they get rained out from the races and he has to stay home. I'd rather he be racing. I'll put a candle in his cheese fries the next time we go to dinner. I think it will be okay...

I'm missing the birthday celebration because of finals stuff. I have a webpage that needs to be polished and launched by Monday. I'm a little stressed out. Not to the point of really hating life, just a little stressed.

Sister is home. I kind of miss being able to visit her every day, as weird as that sounds. She lives a couple towns away and its not as easy to pop over to see her. Neither of us like phones. When this finals junk gets over with, I hope to make it over there more. Plus there's talk of family game night which would be AWESOME. Words cannot describe how much fun I think it would be. I hope the plans don't just fizzle out. And I hope there aren't any wet-blankets (you know who you are).

My great aunt died this week. I've only met her maybe 4 or 5 times in my life but the loss is pretty significant. She was the sister of my biological grandmother. The grandmother that died when my mom was very young. I've always had this strange feeling that if she had lived, life would have been very different. Like somewhere, there's an alternate universe where things unfolded much differently. My great aunt was a tie to that, in my head a supernatural tie to that universe. I felt strangely connected to her. When I did see her, it was like I just felt at ease. She was independent, a little gruff, and didn't really take any bullshit. My mom mentioned that she saw a lot of her in me yesterday. I take it as a compliment. Our contact might have been very limited, but having those things in common makes the family tie pretty strong, in my opinion. I've always thought that blood doesn't necessarily make family. The blood might not have been as thick, but in some ways I felt closer to her than I do some of my other relatives. I'll definitely miss her presence on this earth.

3 comments:

Sizzle said...

I'm sorry about your great aunt's passing. I can understand that connection.

Good luck with your finals!

sue said...

Game night WILL happen. I'll make sure of it...

You remind me I need to post.

Your bro understands. Part of what makes our family awesome. No "command performances" are required.

Rio Vista Boy said...

1. welcome back to your blog, we missed you.
2. Happy Birthday to your brother I hope he kicked butt on the track.
3. welcome home sis (even if it does mean she is further away) More people should enforce 'family game night'.
4. good luck with finals you are about to knock out another year of edimication.
5. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your great biological grandmother. It doesn't matter what binds us; blood or water, it is difficult to lose someone who is bound to us in any manner.