Monday, August 28, 2006

Consider this my help wanted ad

Since moving back, one of the most startling realizations is how utterly and totally alone I am. I swear I'm not being a drama queen. When I moved to Kansas City, I left behind the few friends I had and started anew. The friends left behind were those I had in high school and to some degree, it was just a natural progression of things. Being back, I miss those friends I made in KC and find myself at a loss as to how to find new friends. I live in a college town and that has its benefits but looking around, I am acutely aware of what a couple years age difference can mean. Add to that what I consider my oddities in preference and the relatively small town I'm in and I am just having a hell of a time finding people who have similar interests. I have made a couple of friends online through gaming. I really enjoy talking to them but it's starting to pain me to do so. I get along so well with them that it frustrates me that I can't actually go places with these people or talk things over in a face to face situation. Ya know, do things that friends would normally do. It's almost a sad kind of heartbreak.

And so I'm at a loss. I'm not sure where to go or what to do in order to find people who have common interests. I have this awkward mental picture that its like picking people up at a bar..."Oh, I see you like (insert book/band/movie/food/muppet*) , me too! Ya wanna hang out?" Its a sad and desperate mental picture. So help me, people. Give me some advice. At this point, I'll take all I can get.

* I really don't look for people interested in muppets. That would just be too odd, even for me.

4 comments:

Andy Land said...

Interested...how...in Muppets?

Rio Vista Boy said...

Here are a few suggestions to help you on your way,

Join a health club: solves two problems; you'll become less of a couch potato and more fit. Think of all the people you will meet. The friends you meet here will most likely be healthy, athletic and attractive. You'll look better and feel better at the same time

Take a class, any class: again a two in one tactic; you'll learn something new and make new friends with similar interests. Conversation is easier if you have something in common (see, you are already doing this!).

Go to Museums: Many museums have special events and members only events. Become a member and meet lots of cultured people.

Go to Flea Markets and Antique Shows: While you're browsing the finds, you can people watch.

Join a Book Club: Check this out at your local library. Reading books and sharing them is another great way to get to know people.

Join a Singles Group: Self-explanatory, there are many singles organizations out there that plan singles dances, get-aways, etc.

Volunteer: Help build houses for Habitat for Humanity; give out beverages at marathons, or join one of the many volunteer organizations.

Learn a craft: take craft classes at your local community center.

Go to High School/College Reunions: doesn't even have to be your own...
Walk your dog Everywhere: go to parks and the beach if you have one with your dog. Dogs are great people meeters!

Go to seminars: lots of people go to seminars alone; great place to start a conversation

Go to Wine Tastings: sometimes local restaurants have a wine-tasting night.

Take a yoga, Tai Chi class: relieve tensions and meet other enlightened people.

Talk to everyone, everywhere

If all else fails, you can fall back on Muppets, I happen to know Gobo, Red, Mokey, Wembley, Boober and Matt are pretty lonely since Fraggle Rock went off the air...

sue said...

Of course, joining the health club with your mother probably defeats this...

Other than that, Vin's got some good ideas. Oh, and hanging with your siblings. They may have friends... or not...

Rio Vista Boy said...

pretty much alot of the same advice for ~l~ try to go somewhere you can take your children 1st; parks, beaches, library, join story teller time at the library...
Then try parent groups if married, single parent groups if not, talk to people at work, at school, if you have anyone you like, go to their parties maybe you will find you like the people...
If you find there is no one to your liking around you, you may want to consider getting the hell out of Dodge if you know whay I mean.