Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Move 'em out

Today is the day. I've been packing for a couple days and trying to get the junk sorted out and my first truckload of stuff is ready to go. I have a half hour before I can get into my new place...let the thumbtwiddling commence. Today should be interesting. Typically when I've moved in the past I've had a crew of several to help me out. Until later tonight, I'm going solo. I'm going to try and get as much done as I can by myself and then let the two recruits help me with my limited furniture. I'm already sweating unpleasantly (as opposed to pleasantly...I think my brain is already done for).

Aside from the physical fun of moving, I'm also playing around with the mental aspects. I'm a little nervous. As I've mentioned before, this will be the first time I've lived entirely by myself. I had a brief couple months when a roommate flaked out but other than that there's always been someone around. I'm a pretty independent person so I'm not overly worried but I think I'm going to learn some things about myself. It might be grow-up time. I'm ready for whatever gets thrown at me and its not like my family is hundreds of miles away like they used to. Everything is going to be fine. It's just transition.

Oddly enough, what's hitting me most today is that I'm going to be without my dog (before you get frowny, mother, YOU can pick up a phone and drive over whenever you want so there). I got to thinking that the wee Bugster has been with me through quite a bit. She was my first in depth experience raising a puppy. She was with me through my marriage, my divorce, moving back, starting school again...all of it. Now I'm sure that my parents are going to take fantastic care of her but I'm going to miss her a bunch. Granted, I was reminded at about 4 am what I'm not going to miss...the incessant growling at owls...but those are just the little things that add to her charm. There will be much visiting.

And yes, I'm sure I'll miss my parents too. There are moments when we drive each other bonkers but for the most part I have a family that just gets along. And while SOMEONE keeps implying that I will be falling off the planet, I will say this once more...You have a phone. I have a phone. I will on occasion answer it. You have a car. I have a car. I have laundry to do and you have a free washing machine. So there.

I'll see what I can do about posting once I get settled in...

3 comments:

Rio Vista Boy said...

You are going to be just fine in your new digs. Just don't do like I did in my first home and sit up reading Stephen Kings THE SHINING into the late hours of the night. It takes on a whole new apect in a new and strange environment. I left all the lights in the house on day and night for a week after that.
But aside from the total isolation and vulnerable lonliness that closes in around you when you are tucked away in your bedroom bundled under your covers, in your own new little biosphere. Remember that this is your world now, and you have as much control over it as you want. You are now the master of your own destiny (if there was ever any doubt before) and you have the keys to a brand new life. Take her out for a spin. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

What? Me worried? Honestly... no. Part of it is that you ARE only moving a few miles away. That alone brings my comfort level into the 'good' zone and keeps my heart from breaking. You have grown a lot since you moved out last. You've been through so many growth phases I haven't even kept up with most of them, but this is a good thing. You need to get out of the cocoon now and spread those wings... you're gonna do great.

Oh, and yes, you'll be back. To visit. The dog...and the washing machine. Me? You'd just BETTER answer that phone...

Love you.

Sizzle said...

free laundry- woo! good luck with the settling in. :)