Monday, August 20, 2007

Heart attacks in the mail

My adoration for my new apartment was about killed today. I opened my electric bill. My first electric bill...

$257.58

I shit you not. My eyes bugged out of my head and I about dropped dead right by the mailbox. After looking at it a little closer, turns out it was because my deposit is $235.00. Uh, hello? Are you serious?!?

I instantly shifted gears and drove down to the electric people to find out what the heck was going on. Turns out since I haven't lived in town within the past 2 years, they don't consider me to have a good record and therefore I have to pay a deposit....which is based off the previous tenants electric usage. Helpful Electric Lady flipped her monitor to show me their usage for the year. Apparently, the previous tenant was Las Vegas. My only way out was to prove that I was a faithful bill payer in Kansas City. I called the KC Electric Lady but I was not in the system.

Not in the system = Em's screwed

After calling my ohsofantastic-exhusband ( I mean it, he's super nice, no sarcasm intended) he hooked me up with his account number and there I was! For some reason, my number wasn't put on the account but I was listed.

HOORAY!

After the third try at faxing the right form that had my name on it, I made my triumphant return to the Helpful Electric Lady where I was crowned exempt from paying a godawfully high deposit.

My new bill: $22.58
My new bill were I the previous tenant : $162.75

Seriously! Shut your lights off people! Wherever you are!

5 comments:

Sizzle said...

woah! that's a serious electrical bill! i would have freaked too. good work on that.

Anonymous said...

Ye gods!!! You haven't even been there a month! Thank goodness you were able to clear it up and prove you existed... (yay for the Ex!).

Rio Vista Boy said...

My socal bills ranged in the .25k range in the summertime (sometimes over $300.00). Now I average about $65.00 a month year round. There are some small advantages to being single.

Rio Vista Boy said...

I hear EM flew the coop, found her own nest, never to be heard from again... or is that just a rumor I'm starting?

Rio Vista Boy said...

I hear EM flew the coop, found her own nest, never to be heard from again... or is that just a rumor I'm starting?