Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

Since moving back, Black Friday has a whole new joyous gleam. I used to work for a Big Box PetStore as a manager. Black Friday meant getting into the store at 3 am and then having to put up with elderly rich women having me do all their shopping for their Fifis. One gave me a handful of tags and told me these were all the items she would like to purchase and would I be so kind to go gather them for her. Another took an hour of my time trying to find the right outfit that would set off Mr. Fluffy's eye and fur color. Yet another had me follow her around the store with a cart as she picked out her items. One wanted me to do all the running around the store for her while she gave me her list over the phone. My boss said I could draw the line on that one.

Today, I came into work at 9. So far, there has been one person in for an adjustment after a grandkid mangled his glasses. That's pretty much all I'll be doing today. Adjusting glasses and hearing about what fun was had when families got together. I get to leave at 3.

I salute you poor retail workers that had to be at work even at midnight last night. I sympathize that you're going to have a day from hell and you'll be lucky if your store springs for lunch (even if its an effort to keep you in the store all day, poor Lowe's people). I pat you on the back, managers, who don't want to be there as much if not more than the associates and are going to take the brunt of everyone's wrath. Working in retail can really suck on this dark day but please, please keep a smile on your face. Do your damndest to do a good and honest job. Even when people start fist-fighting over the last discounted DVD player, remember that someday even you can escape and work at a job where you get to leave at 3 pm after having sipped coffee and done sudoku puzzles all day.

Muahahahaha!

3 comments:

sue said...

I am so grateful not to be in retail. Yikes.

Rio Vista Boy said...

To Serve Man, it realy is meant only to be a cookbook.

I shudder at the thought of frantic, angry, desperate people packed like sardines in small confined spaces.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that I don't work in retail either. I hope I never become one of those women that you describe -- all I ask is that they just check people out and answer questions, not become my personal slave.