Saturday, November 17, 2007

In a parallel universe...

As I've stated before, my family is an odd one. We're not scary or anything, we're just special. We have a twisted sense of humor and I've never really met another family like us.

Until yesterday.

I have two friends who are sisters. I call them twins* because they're very similar but they're about 4 years apart. I get along with them fantastically which is rare...I usually get along better with guys but these two are fun. At any rate, their mom is in town this weekend so they invited me out to meet her. It was surreal. When they all got together, it was like being at my own dinner table. There were smartassed remarks as well as candid talk about hard times. The twins have been my friends for a while but by the end of the night I felt like I'd known them forever. Something about seeing a family interact puts a person into perspective. It was really fun to be a part of it. I know my family can be a little overwhelming but I hope when people see us, they get the same sense that we're good people.


*one of the twins looks just like Sizzle...it's uncanny.

5 comments:

Rio Vista Boy said...

I have put down a few years on this planet, and I have to say that to date I have yet to meet a "normal" family. I have seen functioning cohabitive units masque their particular oddities rather well, but ultimately it seems from my experience; the deeper the pretense to normality, the bigger and darker the closet full of skeletons...

There is one couple I met as a young man that lived the blessed life. They were banal, bland, successful and ever happy and optimistic. Anything they tried succeeded, they showed absolutely no concept or understanding of failure, they considered local news as fiction and walked unscathed in a fantasy of sunshine and prosperity. If you mentioned petty crime, starving children, drug addiction, family abuse, prejudice, avarice, murder, wtc. they just stared bank with the blank look of one who is trying to decipher a foreign language. They had no vocabulary for such things. There life was at the ultimate fulcrum of mediocre. Appearing balanced, but so laced with karo syrup and sugarplums as to cause anaphylactic shock to a normal person.

I can't help but wondered if their closet held the entire Stephen King collection of skeletons as well as Poe's, Lovecraft's and a host of other scary denizen's frightful secrets.

Or maybe I just met the true control group for all the rest of us experimantal subjects...

Anonymous said...

COOL! Maybe someday I'll get to meet the rest of the family (you brought one of the 'twins' into work the other day, right?)

Sizzle said...

she looks like me? hmmm. i don't wanna see her because this could either be flattering or devastating. hee hee.

glad you had a good time. i love meeting people's families. everything makes sense then. click!

Shafa said...

I can't make judgments as to the weirdness of your family. Though having talked at length with your mom, I really want to.

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone has a normal family. It all seems to be various versions of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, just sometimes without some of the cultural stereotypes and with others tossed in.

Anonymous said...

What did Shafa mean? Hmmm...