Friday, August 15, 2008

Imitation is the best flattery. or something.

Wednesday night I went with my dad to the truck and tractor pulls at the State fair. Yes, it sounds like what it is. A tractor/truck hitches up to this weighty trailer thingy, as the truck/tractor pulls it a weight moves up the trailer towards the truck/tractor and at some point, the truck/tractor can't pull it any farther. Eh, google it if that made no sense.

Anyways.

As I drank my beer and settled in for the loud long haul, my dad kept making remarks on how much of a 'trooper' I was and how I was alot like him (apparently he had no idea I drink beer. alot.). Over the course of the night and the next day, I got to thinking about his observation. Most of the time, I'm compared to my mom. We look identical (albeit a few years apart), have the same sick sense of humor, and are known for sarcasm. I did inherit a great deal of my personality from my dad, though.

He and I both have a limited tolerance for bullshit. Don't try to schmooze us or win us over with all your accomplishments. We could care less. Impress us with how good of a person you are and maybe we can talk.

We also have the ability to be a chameleon. While dad perfected the art of being able to talk to anyone, I'd say I've been able to pick it up pretty well. Need to talk to the CEO of a major corporation? Done. Need to talk to a local farmer? Done. We can switch up our personalities just enough to put the other person at ease.

I also managed to inherit my dad's temperment. While the women in my family are known for their, ah, moodiness...I stay a pretty even keel like my dad. Granted, he and I are also alike in that when we get pissed, we get PISSED. Just stay the hell out of the way until it blows over. Along with an even temperment is an even temperature too. I have yet to figure out why he and I can stay pretty comfortable in 95+ and 45 below. Except in movie theaters. He and I are different there.

Finally, he and I are alike in that we both can have gruff exteriors but underneath we're pretty soft-hearted. Be it friend, family, or critter...we take care of those who are dear to us. So while he may make some comment about how I had something to do with planning his birthday dinner, I'm just following along in family footsteps. I'm just trying to take care of him like he's taken care of me and the rest of the family. Because, let's face it, it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to grow a beard like his.

3 comments:

T.J. said...

Hey...don't knock the beard until you've tried it.....

T.

sue said...

Yeah, you guys are more alike than a lot of people give you credit for... that's a good thing. :)

Rio Vista Boy said...

You couldn't pick a better person to immulate than Dad and Mom, it's a good combination.