Friday, April 20, 2007

Stalking may be an option

Yesterday, I got my hair cut. Now, I’m sure this doesn’t seem like something too tragic but my regular stylist has disappeared. DISAPPEARED. I see you need some background to understand the tragedy of this event.

A few months ago, I was in an unfamiliar salon buying shampoo. On a whim, my mother decided she wanted her haircut. I was also due for a trim so decided to try out someone new. My old stylist was an old friend from high school and I had been seeing her more out of obligation than out of amazement with her work. When I tried out the new stylist, it was like love at first sight. She knew exactly what I wanted but altered it just perfectly to fit my face shape and hair type. She was confident in her ability. Her chitchat wasn’t contrived or forced. She was perfect. I left that day in complete awe. I was petting my hair for hours, if I remember correctly.

I had been seeing Laura for months and months, overjoyed with her work. A week ago, I called to make an appointment when the snarky receptionist told me that “Laura no longer works here”. My exact words in a low horrified tone were “Oh…my…god…”. I was in shock. Snarky Receptionist informed me I would be seeing Margo instead. MARGO. NOT LAURA. I hung up the phone terrified. That night, I couldn’t sleep wondering where my stylist had gone. The next day, I googled her to no avail. I decided that maybe, just maybe Margo would be fine.

Margo is not fine. I arrived for my appointment and Margo came out to greet me. NOT LAURA. She was overly cheery, overly touchy, and her chitchat was overbearing. I spent the whole time thinking that as long as the cut was good, I could stand the chitchat. The cut was not good. Margo kept asking my opinion on things. She was not confident. She wasn’t sure what would work with my hair. Or my face shape. She asked me 15 million times if I wanted something to drink…even after I told her 14.9 million times that I didn’t, I really didn’t, just please god let this get over with so I can go home and find a hat.

So I don’t know what to do. I’m forlorn that I’ve lost my perfect stylist. The stylist I’ve looked for my entire life. I’ve determined that I’m going to have to call every single salon in the area until I find her. She’s worth it. My only fear is that she was so good that some celebrity stole her to make her into their BFF ala Kevin Paves. Things would get ugly. Uglier than this blah haircut.

Come back Laura, please. I miss you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let the hunt begin...

Sizzle said...

boy do i know this pain all too well!

when i moved to seattle i was desperate to find a good stylist. i'd had the same one for over 8 years and she was AMAZING. she referred me to her best friend here in WA who also cuts hair.

not good.

not good at all. she was very unsure of herself and had shakey hands. i was telling HER how to cut my hair. no thanks!

i've now gone to three other hairdressers and tomorrow i am trying out a fourth. people just don't understand that this is VERY personal, this connection between hair stylist and customer. i think i put more thought into who will cut my hair than who will be my gyno. ;)

can you tell i have a lot to say on this subject? (ahem)

good luck with your quest. i'm sure she is out there!