Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mama needs some beads

Last night was a blast. I went with a couple older friends of mine to the Irish restaraunt for Patty's day. The place was packed, the band was great, and the people were the weirdest mix I've seen in one place. I recognized teachers from my high school, professors from my university, local cops, business owners, and the requisite college students. Most people were enjoying themselves and then there were these few little groups of debbie downers. It was really weird. They were mostly older women and they sat in little huddles. They didn't eat or drink anything and they didn't even take their coats off. It was the mystery of the night.

The highlight was when we first got there. As we were weaving through the bar trying to get to the tent, one of the women I was with got approached by a guy dressed as a leprechaun. He just looked her in the eye and said " Mama needs some beads", and held out some green mardi gras beads. She looked over at me horrified. I turned to the guy and told him that she definitely did, as did the rest of us. After he walked away, she was so relieved she didn't have to flash anybody. The rest of the night was great, mostly. I got to introduce the ladies to the Dirty Girlscout shot...it ended up being a whole troop of them. There was good food, good music, good dancing. And then a really weird guy showed up. My friend kept telling me that he was trying to get my attention and he finally came over to get me to dance. He seemed a little too drunk so I really didn't want to but my friend pushed me out there anyways. He proceeded to tell me he was a naugahyde salesman and only in town for two more days and he wanted to spend more time with me. Barf. After I told him to cut the bullshit, he said he was actually a personal trainer but was still moving away in two days. Between the corny lines, him dancing a little too close for comfort, and he kept giving his friend fist pounds on the dancefloor, I got out of there pretty quick. I swore to my friend I would get even.
After that low point of the evening, things were good. I ended up babysitting the other friend. I determined she is the biggest lightweight I have ever met. I'm sure she's hurting this morning.
Near the end of the night, another guy walked up to me and asked if I could do him a favor. Ever skeptical, I asked what kind of favor. He pointed out his friend and told me it was his birthday and would I go tell him happy birthday, it would really make his night. I figured what the hell and walked over. I tapped him on the shoulder and when he turned around I recognized him as a client from my store (specifically, a client who had once asked my boss while I was in the back room whether or not I was married...to which my boss replied 'no, but you are!'). I figured what the hell and said "Hi! Happy birthday Jim!". His friends eyes got big and he turned to me, "He wasn't lying! He said he knew you and I didn't believe him!" After finding out it wasnt really his birthday, I was just settling a bet, we had a couple laughs. I noticed the friend I was babysitting was starting to spiral so we called it a night.
I ended up with a few strings of beads, a couple tshirts, and a sore leg from stomping it all night. I couldn't ask for a better Patty's day. Okay, maybe next year we skip the naugahyde salesman...

No comments: