Saturday, March 17, 2007

A commentary on the holiday I was built for

I am Irish.

Red hair. Paler than death. Smartass to the marrow. Wise beyond my years.

Or at least I think I am.

One of my main complaints about being a redhead is the expectation that I should always wear green. I own only two items of clothing that are green and I don't really wear them that often. I know a little old lady that constantly hounds me about my neglect of green.

"You would look so lovely in it, really! It was made for you!"

She chooses to wear hot pink dresses and neon green sweatshirts. I don't place much value on her fashion opinion.

I've talked to other redheads about this phenomenon. A girl I know loved to wear it, it was the equivalent of a girly girl wearing pink, in her mind. She was a total sellout to the redhead establishment. A friend of mine in Florida chose to never wear green either. He also constantly wore baseball hats to keep his hair covered. He preferred to deny its existence at all. Another friend of mine just didn't give it much thought. She would wear it but typically it was in camoflage or some other non-girly interpretation of the color.

I guess my whole thought on the matter is, I don't try and pick out your clothes, don't try to pick out mine. And so help me, regardless of holiday tradition or not, if you try to pinch me for not wearing green, you will be donning a new black eye for St. Patrick's Day.

1 comment:

sue said...

Yes, I'm so *snif* damn proud.