Friday, March 02, 2007

Still dreaming of tidal waves

Ocean To see an ocean in your dream represents your emotions and feelings. It is indicative of some spiritual refreshment, tranquility, and renewal.

One of the things I consistently post about is my dreams. I have them frequently and they’re always (in my opinion) bizarre. I’ve dreamt of my teeth slipping from their sockets and trying to talk with a mouthful of bleeding toothbits. I’ve dreamt of the last hours of my life before I died of an accidental death. I’ve dreamt of people I know being serial killers trapped in the form of a small cardboard box. Aside from their weird nature, I’m also one to have recurring dreams. I had a lengthy post about my recurrent dream of my old ex-boyfriend-turned-psyche (Turns out, I haven’t seen him back since he decided to get hitched. Go figure.). One of my other recurrent themes is the ocean. I’ve only been to the ocean a handful of times so it’s significance in my dreamscape is beyond me. Sometimes, it has been a threatening tidal wave where I’ve had to escape into a tree so enormous it is beyond the realm of nature. Many times I just stand watching it, barefoot. The water is warm as it slips over my feet.

I’ve been thinking more about my ocean dreams lately. I’m never out in the ocean, but watching it from the shore. It seems to have some significance. Supposedly, oceans and waves in a dream are representative of emotions. I don’t consider myself an overly emotional person so perhaps my standing on the shore supports that in some way. In some superstitious way, maybe I don’t want to go into the water. Who knows what kind of havoc that would wreak on my psyche. Wonder what aspect of my dreams represents me thinking about random stuff too damn much…

2 comments:

sue said...

Or, perhaps it is just sleep depravation?

Anonymous said...

I have also had similar dreams but there of a catastrophic magnitude. I start off with friends and familiar faces that I have interacted with throughout my work week. We are standing in what I would describe a covered picnic area with bbq pit and tables. I see the gigantic wave, larger than the hills and mountains surrounding the body of water (which is kind of add as most oceans are open and don’t have regions of hills or mountains) coming at us and I begin to yell and scream to those standing around to RUN!! As I start running and as I periodically look back to see how far the wave is inland, I start to see trees, people, cars and the covered picnic area engulfed by water, I see a few buildings and tell everyone in my vicinity to head for the rooftops or higher land.

Some people would think that this is normal and just part of my late night meal in combination of beer and sedatives. They would be right but I have had the dream before in the exact same situation. I hope to God that this not a pre-cursor or a premonition of global tidal wave that will effect all coastal areas and could take millions of lives and that it is just some emotional tidal wave unto which I have no control. I don’t consider my self a physic or a prophet but I am religious to a certain extent.