Thursday, May 03, 2007

The brick wall that is Em gets scheduled for some graffiti

For months I've been toying with the idea of getting another tattoo. My first one, a butterfly on my stomach was in honor of Columbus Day 1999. I woke up and decided, what the hell, today is the day.
At any rate, I've been working on sketches for months in an attempt to design something I would love permanently etched onto my skin. I usually will draw something up and then not look at it for a couple weeks. If I still love it, its in the running.
I'm very careful about this sort of thing. I've seen the monstrousity my cousin has on her lower back. I will not be the victim of a blotchy, poorly designed tramp stamp. This is where I'm actually having a problem. I can't decide where I want to put it. I'm taking into consideration that I might have a grownup job someday. I'm thinking about the possibility that hell will freeze over and I may decide to have kids (which of course means my cute little butterfly will be GINORMOUS and then sad and potentially grody...). I'm taking into consideration most of the practical aspects but I really just want it somewhere I would like it.
My options are:
- on my neck below the hairline
- on my upper back, off to the side of the knobby vertebrate at the base of the neck
- my hip, below the waistline
Whatever and wherever it will be, it won't be huge and gaudy...it's just not my style. Do any of you, lurkers included, have tattoos? What kinds of experiences have you had related to them? Any other words of wisdom*?

* I have already estimated that by the end of this post, my father has rolled his eyes approximately 18 times, speed dialed my mother once, and said the following words at least twice "I made it through the Navy without a tattoo, why does she need to do this?" I still love you to bits, Dad:)

6 comments:

brandy said...

"I will not be the victim of a blotchy, poorly designed tramp stamp"- this should be the mantra for girls everywhere.

Anonymous said...

He said he only rolled them 10x. He counted. The rest? All true. :)

As far as my opinion. I don't mind as long as a.) I know about it b.) it is in a place that you are being grown-up about (which it appears you are) and c.) it is something that won't embarrass whatever children you or your siblings who may have to care for you may have when you are 90 years old

Becky said...

Hi Em -

Thanks for coming by my blog teh other day and for commenting -- sorry for being so slow to return the favor. I had a feeling you were Sue's daughter:)

On to the comment, I dont' have any tattoos b/c I'm afraid of the process and what it will look like when I really start to wrinkle/sag. My sister has a monstrosity across her back and I just don't think it will hold up as well as say, that cute butterfly you already have.

Sizzle said...

i have one tat and it's also a butterfly (coinkydink!) but it's on my hip/back so i rarely catch sight of it. that's good because i do not like it. i made the decision too impulsively and didn't really think about the ramifications. i do really want another one, one of my choosing that is special. i think you are going about this very level-headedly (which might not be a word but whatever).

i'd vote for upper back/side of vertebrate.

post photos if you do it!

(also, p.s. don't put it on your forehead. your mom asked me to remind you)

Thatgirl7278 said...

Cute notes on your Dad. I have yet to even MENTION my blog to my parents. I have a feeling they would NOT approve.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.