Saturday, May 19, 2007

Don't wanna go to work...

I'm dreading today. I have to work. But not only do I have to work, I have to work with my best friend.

I see you scratching your head. Let me explain.

Yesterday, I put in my notice. A couple weeks ago, an old boss offered me a job with a significant raise over what I'm making now. I had to give it some serious thought for many reasons. I've had a lot of fun working where I am now. My manager is and has been my best friend for a few years. We've been there for each other through some really rough times. I also really enjoy my coworkers. It's a quirky, tightknit group and it's great having a job I look forward to. The downside is, the money is not the greatest. Since I decided to move out, money has been at the front of my mind.

Now before you ask if I was choosing between money and a fun job, the answer is not really. When I worked for this previous boss, I also had a lot of fun there. It's the same type of job, optical sales, but the clientele is different and the environment isn't corporate. It's an independently owned shop and it's real artsy and fun. It was my home away from home for the years that I worked there.

And so...long story short, I'm switching jobs based on money and my best friend is upset with me. It sucks because I love her as much as I love my family but she has a hard time not taking this sort of thing personally. I expect today will be a cold one. Anyone have a scarf I can borrow?

4 comments:

Shafa said...

*jumps on soapbox*

This is kind of an occupational hazard (pardon the pun) of working with (or worse, for) a friend. Sooner or later, business is going to get in the way and someone is going to be upset about that.

Like you said, she's taking it personally when it's just business, but right now she doesn't see it like that.

The best thing to do is take time to let this heal. Don't completely create a gap between you two, because that would send the wrong message. Feel it out, because this person is your friend and you know how they operate. Best of all, sincerity and honesty are absolute necessities.

Hope it works out.

*dismounts soapbox*

Rio Vista Boy said...

yeppers, sounds like a dozen chocolate chip cookies day...

Sizzle said...

i would hope if she is truly your best friend she'll be able to process past her hurt and be there for you. this is clearly a smart decision you've made to move on.

Anonymous said...

You know what I think about this.