Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Saying goodbye to one of the good ones

In high school, my older brother was Mr. Popular and I was the awkward little sister that lived in his shadow. For the most part, his equally popular friends ignored me or on occasion made little jokes at my expense. One of his friends, John, stands out in my memory as one of the nice ones. He was nice to everybody and was pretty upbeat in general. Everyone knew who he was and everyone liked him.
Last night John died. It was a heart attack. There's so many things about it that shakes me to the center. He was so young. The same age as my brother, only a few years older than me. He had a fairytale-like life (compared to Iowa) working as a chef in New York. It just happened. Just like that.
This is one of those things that makes you so aware of how short and valuable life is. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about how preoccupied with the mundane I get. How many of us really enjoy life?
John was a great guy. I'm certain he will be missed by many.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, he will be missed. I remember him as a really good kid and a good friend of your brother.

Becky said...

That's so sad -- you don't think you're vulnerable to something like that until much later in life.