Saturday, June 09, 2007

Bearer of bad news

I hate having to deliver bad news. Someone I care a lot about called me for a favor. They're out of town and away from a computer and asked if I would check and see if they got an email about whether or not they got into the art program they applied to. We both applied to the same program. I had to tell them that they didn't get it, they got their second choice. I hate giving this kind of news so much that right now I'm shaking uncontrollably. There's nothing I can do to comfort my friend. Right before hanging up and pursuing a drunken stupor they asked if I had gotten in. I can't lie to this person. I had to tell them I had. So easily our positions could have been reversed and I know how I would feel. I so wanted to be the bearer of good news. I really did. I wish they knew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As tough as it is to have to be the bearer of that bad news, it could be worse. I always think of those poor police officers and military personnel who have to tell someone their loved one has been killed. Talk about delivering bad news.

I'm sure your friend was aware that it could have gone the other way, too, that they could have been accepted and you not, so they had to be at least partly prepared. If they're a good enough friend they'll be happy for you and understand how difficult it was for you to have to tell them the "bad" news...

Rio Vista Boy said...

Your friend should know by now not to shoot the messenger. It is difficult to face up to the reality of not meeting personal expectations on a self established timeline but even more problematic to turn away from those who might support you through the perceived crisis. I know from personal experience. I have been known to walk away from personal tragedy and loss rather than "burden" those dear to me with my worries. Unfortunately if you walk fast and far enough you can lose sight of those friends and loved ones near and dear to you and find yourself alone and wounded.