Friday, February 08, 2008

Twentysome years in the works

My baby brother is getting married tomorrow.

Okay, so I've never really thought of him as my baby brother. He's only two years younger than me and has turned out a foot taller so 'baby' really doesn't fit. At any rate, he's all growed up now.
It's a little weird to think about. The fact that we're all older catches me especially when I think of him. It seemed like when we were little, the rest of us kids were always picking on him. He was perpetually young...he has ADHD (which you really wouldn't notice it now that he's older) and growing up he had energy like a small chipmunk and an equal attention span. It was hard to keep up with what was going on. There was always mischief and occasional frustration but I think that's common for four siblings.
Looking back, I tend to just remember the fun times with JD. I remember playing matchbox cars and video games and The Living Room Olympics (never when mom and dad were home, of course). There were four-wheelers, snowmobiles and riding bikes (the little twerp got it down before I did and it still kinda bothers me). There was playing in my dad's shop and both getting yelled at...apparently "the shop is not a playground, damnit!"
As I've gotten older, the fact that he has too is always surprising me. Being busy with school and moving away for a little bit, every time I would see him it was astonishing to see that he wasn't the same goofy kid. Sure, he acts goofy every now and then but that's standard for our family. But the realization that he's an adult tends to catch me off guard. The great part is he's not just an adult, he's a really good one. He's turned out to be a nice guy, full of integrity and quick to help people out. I'm always amazed at how quick he offers to help me out when I'm in a bind. He's got the best heart. And of all of us siblings, he's turned out to be one of the softest towards animals. It cracks me up how quick he's been to take up scraggly animals.
So before I go on a rant and get all sappy, I really love my brother. I'm happy that he's managed to find someone who is his female equivalent (its really quite creepy) and she appreciates him as much as we do. I'm glad he's happy and I'm excited to get another sister-in-law.
So to the happy couple, congratulations...I love ya both. And in the eternal words of dad, at least I'm not a mean drunk.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post... geez, I got a bunch of great kids. *sniff*

Sizzle said...

at least you're not a mean drunk- ha!

what a nice post about your brother. yay for weddings. :)

Unknown said...

Awwww...how sweet:)

Fantastagirl said...

Very sweet - he's lucky to have such a nice older sister! Hope you have a great time at the wedding.

Echomouse said...

your relationship reminds me very much of mine with my little brother, who is now 39 years old. :)

Have a wonderful time at the wedding and best wishes to the happy couple!

Rio Vista Boy said...

If love is blind, then marriage is definitely an eye opener...

Best wishes to the couple, may they walk together for many, many years!

My all time favorite wedding toast;
"Everyone deserves happiness, but some choose marriage." Mozel tov!