Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Here in the states, that's what we call "asking for it".

In one of my classes there's a girl I just don't mesh well with (I shall call her Perude). We have a mutual friend in the sweetest girl in the world (I shall call her Sunshine). Sunshine is one of those perpetually nice, giggles in the face of adversity, occasionally clumsy and daft but you can't help but like her kind of people. I've come to the conclusion that Perude hangs out with Sunshine because she's the only one that will put up with her behavior. Perude looks down her nose at other people...she thinks if you don't wear designer clothing you're less of a person, she perpetually points out to her classmates that she's "smarter than most Americans", and if you have to work through school you're too poor and shouldn't even bother. Now, after that statement, let's take a brief glimpse at me...I show up to class in hoodies, jeans, and stocking caps. Uh, I'm an American and I think a pretty smart one. Oh, and I work through school.
I'm perpetually biting my tongue around this girl because Sunshine is very tenderhearted and she really wants everyone to get along. I've told her I just don't agree with Perude's behavior and I'll try to be civil for Sunshine's sake.

I agreed to be civil. Not to let the perfect moment go by.

We had small group critiques in studio yesterday. It was me, Perude, and the instructor. Perude showed the instructor her work, the cover of which she had "spent hours handpainting" words that were descriptors of the artist she was writing about. The instructor made a little joke about how he hoped they were all spelled right to which Perude replied that she was certain they were because her spelling is "better than American's". I started looking through and couldn't help it when I saw "arogant". I pointed it out and she said "No, there's only one 'r', I'm certain". The instructor just laughed and told her she was wrong. Then I pointed out 'entrepreneuor', 'confiddent', and 'inovative'. She looked to the instructor for help and he told her she was still wrong. She then had the 'arogance' to say she still has better spelling than Americans. I just looked at her and said, "well, not this American" and laughed. I even managed to get a giggle out of the instructor.

Life has its good moments...

4 comments:

Sizzle said...

I love the irony!

She sure is "arogant."

Rio Vista Boy said...

and this is how serial killers are born in pulp fiction books...

sue said...

Go Em...Go Em...Go Em....! Yep. These are the moments I'm soooo *sniff* proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Haha!

Amanda