Monday, January 14, 2008

Onward

Today, I started classes again. So far so good...I have the same professor as I did last semester (he who disappears for weeks on end) but he is not scheduled to be gone. Miracle of miracles. I'm also taking a photography class with a lovely woman who is a charming blend of spacey and sweet. I'm giddy about her class. I was also pleased to find out that someone I really didn't want to be in that class isn't, so it was an added bonus on the day. Tomorrow I have an art history class (I have some weird natural memory thing for it so I enjoy it) and another studio with a charming grad student I had last semester...I'm pretty sure shes around my age so its like hanging out with a friend. If ever I was optimistic about a semester, this is the one.

I also spent this weekend appreciating veterans. Random. I borrowed Band of Brothers on dvd from my dad and spent the weekend entrenched, so to speak. I'll be the first to admit I know little about wars and the military in general but this show is giving me a newfound appreciation for soldiers. Yes, I'm sure it's not giving me a completely accurate perspective but babysteps.

I wanted to participate in Sizzle's Ipod meme but alas, I have no ipod. I guess I could dig out my sansa thinger but its all workout music and who wants their life to gain significance from Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, or Justin Timberlake? I'd rather spare myself, I guess.

1 comment:

Rio Vista Boy said...

As a veteran I would much rather be thought of less for what I did and remembered more for why I did it. War is never a prefered choice, but all too often a dreaded neccesity. For every TV hero and Rambo wannabe there are hundreds of thousands of frightened, determined young men and women who willingly face death each and every day to preserve our way of life. GI Joe and every other gung ho action hero that embraces the battle and lives only to kill and maim the enemy are crazy by any definition. The true heroes are those who fear and personally disdain violence yet face it anyways finding any other alternative to the situation they are in unacceptable. It's never pretty and always traumatic but it is the individual choice made by millions to keep such atrocity from reaching our shore.