Saturday, January 12, 2008

Romantic comedies are the devil's amusement

Okay, maybe they aren't that bad. They just irritate me, I guess. You sit enthralled with someone else's perfect relationship for an hour and a half and after you leave it takes a good three hours to re-convince yourself that life isn't like that. Okay, maybe for .000004 percent of the population it is but they probably have hair that doesn't frizz in humidity or a sensitivity to dryer sheets. Am I the only one who has a problem with them? I go in thinking they'll be a cheerful and light alternative to something dramatic and it ends up turning me into a headcase for the rest of the evening. I spent the majority of last night picking apart every relationship I've ever had until Family Guy was able to distract me. I suppose I'm just overly sensitive, I realized last night that I'm currently the only one of my social circle not dating or in a relationship. Which wouldn't be that bad except every time I want to do something, they're already entangled for the evening. I know I'm not the first to have to deal with this. I know that eventually things will change. I know that I typically don't mind being alone. But damnitalltohell those stupid movies make me question my contentment. I might need to give my input to the writer's strike negotiations...

3 comments:

Sizzle said...

those movies, while the romantic in me adores them, are trouble. because most of the time they aren't showing a REAL relationship with all it's challenges and even when they do it ends all lovely with the music swelling.

shit. i am in a relationship and i'm bothered now!

:)

Rio Vista Boy said...

Oh come on, it's fantasy, we like fantasy don't we? After walking away from Alien vs Preditor, I am not thinking that wasn't real why did I even bother (ok, I may have walked away thinking why did I bother, but not because I expected realism...)
It is all about the fantasy, the dream, letting your imagination run free and clothing optional for awhile.

Anonymous said...

How many times do I have to tell you, "it's JUST PRETEND"... geez... I thought I was going to get to stop saying that when you kids got older. Guess not, huh?