Thursday, September 27, 2007

Miami Vice

Since the whole sugar drama, I've been considering all the things that I depend on in my daily life. And not necessarily in a good way. When does something you enjoy become a vice? Is it when it starts to affect your life negatively but you continue to do it anyways? I was trying to compile a list in my head of all the things that I might need to quit because they're not bettering my quality of life. It's not very long, in my opinion...

Em's list o' vices:
1) Television - a recent addiction. It's killing my motivation to work out or get anything productive done. If I could function with it just as background noise, it would be fine but I have a hard time focusing. Maybe if they'd come out with more crappy shows and cancel the ones I like...?

2) Stupid relationships - I waste energy expecting things to work out but logically, I know they won't. Logically, I know that I haven't met "the guy" and logically I think I'm okay being alone. Too bad some parts of me are less than logical.

3) Coffee - I'm not sure if this is a vice. I rely on it daily, love it to bits, but am curious if it's causing any major negative effects. My heart doesn't have abnormal rhythms and I sleep okay so I'm hoping that Coffee and I are on good terms

4) Perfectionism - ohhhh yeah. This bad boy kills me. I love getting eveything done just so. I love getting a perfect grade on an exam AND being the first one to finish it. Sometimes I love being perceived as an Ice Queen because it also implies that I'm striving for perfection, emotional distance, inhuman capabilities. It's amazing that I don't have an eating disorder and some other complex. Aside from the sugar addiction, this is the other vice I'm attempting to kill off toot sweet.

What other things do you think are vices?

5 comments:

Sizzle said...

that's a good list. alcohol can be a vice if used properly...or improperly as the case may be.

Anonymous said...

Obviously, we have things in common.
1. - check
2. - not any more (thank god)
3. - does cola count? it has caffiene and is sweet, even if fake. I'd be lost without the fizz
4. - I'm sorry. I know you got this from my genes. It has plagued me since I was little. Even if I don't always come off as one, (i.e. the house not as clean as it should be) I am one (I am just fretting about it inside).
5. - another of my personal vices is books. Must. Have. Books. I don't need to own them, but I feel very strange if I don't have one I'm currently reading and another one 'on stand-by'.
6. - the computer. It is a ball and chain around my neck sucking me into the vortex. Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, but I really am hooked on this whole blog stuff and WoW and other computer-related stuff. God help me if I ever get to the point I can't type.

I think that's enough for now. I don't want to give away ALL the secrets...

Unknown said...

Food is a bad vice for me b/c I'm a comfort eater. I will think about the fact that I know I'm going out to eat for dinner or lunch hours beforehand and look forward to it. THat sounds rather sad when I see those words actually typed out.

Rio Vista Boy said...

I have to go with 3, 5, and 6 of Sue's list.
Those are my big ones now days and I will add food in gerneral.
Food seems to have turned on me.
I am at the pint where if it tases at all good it is bad.

If soda pop turns on me I am doomed.

Anonymous said...

Smoking is definitely my biggest, worst, most expensive addiction. At one point, it was neck-in-neck expense-wise with the tv/internet combo, but here (NJ as opposed to GA or MO), it's much more expensive.
And tv and internet are vices for me as well. I used to read books nonstop. Now I read blogs. I love the blog-surfing, and reading about others' lives, but really, we're all just people. When you read a book, generally the author is trained and more talented than the average bear at the art of English, and I've found my own language and vocabulary skills dwindling since the glowing screen began reeling me in.
Gotta have coffee, and I think I've developed some weird heart rhythms, so yeah, probably should quit, but doubt that I could.

I guess that's it, or at least the worst of them.