Friday, September 28, 2007

Were the streetcorner a viable option*...

Since I am a poor college student, one of the ways I support myself is through 'donating' plasma. For money. So it's not really donating. Technically.
Anyways.
From previous experience I have problems when the technician moves the needle. Something about feeling that painful little thing in my arm getting moved around makes my stomach flip and the lights start to go out. They left notes all over my chart that they shouldn't move the needle. So I should be good, right? Well, last time I almost passed out again. This time, they didn't move the needle, I had eaten properly, was well hydrated, everything. There was no good reason as to why. The only thing they could think of was that there was a teensy language barrier between myself and the foreign-born technician and trying to understand the directions made me nervous enough that I almost blacked out. Kinda stupid, eh? So today, I chickened out. I was getting all worked up about going that I figured that regardless of who I was stuck by, I would be passing out, guaranteed. I've decided that I'll give myself a couple days off and go back next week with a healthy optimism about being used as a pin cushion. On the bright side, with my hellacious workload I have this weekend, I'll be saving as much money as I would have made donating with my lack of social life and all.

These little dramas won't exist when I go back to the real working world, will they?

* I'd like to point out that when I asked my mother if she could think of a way for me to make 30 bucks without getting stuck by a needle, THIS was her suggestion. My family is twisted.

9 comments:

sue said...

...but twisted in a GOOD way...*

May I also point out I was the one who suggested if you couldn't make the money, the least you could do is just not spend that same amount of money this weekend, thereby keeping yourself 'even', as it were.

*I certainly hope people are laughing. I mean, it WAS a joke.

Rahul said...

wait a second..you can get money for donating plasma? Where have I been?

I like this blog. I will be back.

Anonymous said...

I'll buy your plasma if you leave it in your body where it is supposed to be - Dad

Rio Vista Boy said...

Now that is what a Dad is supposed to do!

Jan said...

"These little dramas won't exist when I go back to the real working world, will they?"

Nope...just a whole new set of new ones! :)

Jan said...

I'm superfluous, I know... but I mean well!

Sue..I'm laughing, I'm laughing!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, donating plasma, would it be weird if I said I was jealous??? My blood sucks so they won't let me donate for pay, but I always want to. As for the streetcorner, maybe your mom meant that you were pretty enough that you would only have to turn a few tricks to make some money?? (And yes, this is me trying to think positive...) :)

em said...

Rs - I know! Ain't the world great! Now if only we could get paid for clipping fingernails and getting a haircut...


Jan - You get bonus points for using my favorite word of all time, Superfluous. I used it in a paper once in 6th grade and my teacher left a note saying that if any other student had used it, she would have thought it was something their parents had written. Since then, it has a spot in my heart.

Brandy - I'm more than a little honored you stopped by, you're one of my favorites! I need to donate plasma to afford tall girl shoes...

Unknown said...

The last time I gave blood, the tech did a really bad job in my arm and I haven't been able to do it since without getting quesy at the thought. I can do quickie blood tests but sitting there with the needle pumping my blood out -- I just can't do it.