Monday, September 24, 2007

Sugar, we need to talk.

Okay, so this week I might be a little grumpy. I'm attempting (once again) to cut down on my sugar intake. I have done well in the past but I always have some relapse and then find myself downing a danish covered in icing with a heavily sugared coffee. There are many reasons I want to cut back. The primary reason is my parents. Although neither one of them is overweight, they both have ended up with Type 2 Diabetes. Growing up, our family consumed unnatural amounts of soft drinks. I've become quite attached and even though I've tried, I hate the taste of diet pop. At any rate, with my family history and my tendency to prefer sugary things, I have this fear of developing diabetes myself. The other reasons are more on the superficial side. I can tell when I go on sugar benders, my skin has a meltdown. It looks dull and blotchy and then I get breakouts on top of it. Then of course is the dental aspect. I've never had a cavity but with all the crap I eat, I get the feeling that those days are limited.
Now, I'm not gonna go cold turkey. Maybe on pop I will but sugar in general, I'm going to just try and wean myself off it. Hopefully it will go a little smoother. Hopefully. Bear with me people, this could get ugly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let the fun begin!

Seriously, good for you. Maybe you'll live longer than we will. ;)

Rio Vista Boy said...

I quit smoking, it was nothing compared to the difficulty I had switching to diet sodas. But in the end, all it takes is committment and stubborness, I think you may have both.

Sizzle said...

i'm like a new woman once i quit the sugar. it can really do a number on ones mood. not everyone feels this way but some do.

i suggest eating a potato at night if you are trying to ween yourself. or check out the book "potatoes not prozac" which helped me cut sugar from my diet.